Facts About Earth


Interesting facts about earth

  1. Bowling ball: The earth has a more smooth surface than a bowling ball. (if you scale it to the same size)
  2. Sunlight: Sunlight reaches Earth with 8 minutes delay.
  3. Lightning: 8.6 million lightnings occur on Earth every day.
  4. Volcanoes: There are almost 500 volcanoes on Earth. 90% of all volcanic activity takes place in the ocean.
  5. Form: Earth is not round; It is closer to a flat-printed spheroid.
  6. Tectonics: Continents on Earth move about 2 cm each year. (some places up to 4 cm)
  7. Highest Point: Mount Everest is the highest mountain with 8,848 meters height.
  8. Deepest point: The deepest point of the earth is the Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench, which is 10,924 meters deep.
  9. Gold: 99% of all the earth’s gold is in the core of the earth.
  10. Inner core: Earth’s inner core is a solid metal ball, which is 5,150 – 6,331 km deep (wide) and 3,300-4,000 degrees hot.

Fun facts about Earth

  • Countries: There are 192 countries on Earth.
  • Visibility: China’s air pollution is visible from space – but the Chinese Wall is not visible.
  • Population: Earth’s population grows by just over 1% and will be 9.2 billion by 2050. (it’s about 7.1 billion today)
  • Gravity: Gravity is not equal everywhere on Earth. This means that we do not weigh the same in different parts of the world.

The time (earth day facts)

  • Day: A day on the Earth is exactly 23 hours, 56 minutes and 4 seconds – not 24 hours.
  • Year: One year on Earth consists of 365 and ¼ day. The quarterly days meet every four years for a shooting year lasting 366 days.
  • Rotation: Earth rotates slower every century because the population increases for 1 million every century(although the delay is not quite even)
  • Life: The existence of life on Earth goes back (as far as we know) 150-200 million years ago. Since the earth is about 5 billion years old, this only counts for approx. 5-10% of Earth’s lifetime. There are much place to learn about the earth history.
  • End of the Earth: About approx. in 1 billion years, the Earth will be uninhabitable for all forms of life because of the rising heat of the sun.
  • Water: In approx. 2 billion years there will be no more water left on Earth; It will be evaporated.
  • Earth’s Future: The Earth will not be able to survive the sun’s development into a red giant, which is expeced to take place in 4-5 billion years. This is because, among other things, the sun will expand so much that its radius will exceed the Earth’s orbital pathway, thus making it impossible for Earth’s existence.

The water

  • Salt water: 97% of all water on Earth is salty.
  • Water and soil: Only 29% of the Earth’s surface is soil – the remaining 71% is water.
  • Ice and water: The South Pole (Antarctica) has as much ice as the Atlantic Ocean has water

Earth in the solar system

  • Most visible planet: From a distance, the Planet Earth is the brightest light of all solar system planets. This is because the sunlight is reflected by the water on Earth.
  • Name: The Earth is the only planet in our solar system, which is not named after a mythological god.
  • Meteorites: 100 tons of small meteorites penetrate Earth’s atmosphere every day. This can also be estimated at around 30,000 meteorites on a yearly basis.
  • Twin Planet: The Earth had a “twin planet” called ‘Theia’ (the earth is called ‘Gaia’ in the literature of the astronomers). It is believed that Theia had the same orbit around the Sun as Earth and that Theia and Earth collided about 4.5 billion years ago. This collision probably resulted in the creation of the moon.

Facts about the Earth as a planet

Earth’s profile
Lot: 5,972,190,000,000,000 billion. kg
eccentricity: 0.01671123
Diameter at the equator: 12,756,1 km
Perimeter of the equator: 40,075,16 km
Rotation speed: 107.218 km / s
aphelion: 152,098,233 km
perihelion: 147,098,291 km
Aver. distance from the sun: 149,669,180 km
Surface temperature: -89.2 to 56.7 ° C